- That is an open letter to President Joe Biden from a gaggle of indigenous peoples and advocates.
- The letter requires a collection of actions by the Biden administration to help the rights of Indigenous peoples in the USA and overseas.
- “Internationally, the USA should develop into an advocate for the rights of Indigenous peoples, and in our international coverage and international help, contain Indigenous peoples as companions – by way of their very own social, political and authorized – to handle the world‘s most urgent challenges and to advance safety, prosperity, sustainability and peace, ”the authors write.
- This text is a commentary. The views expressed are these of the creator, not essentially Mongabay.
Expensive President Biden,
Congratulations to you and Vice President Harris in your historic election. We pray for the success of your administration and your efforts to handle the COVID-19 pandemic, scale back international conflicts, reply to the challenges offered by international local weather change, and restore the ecological integrity of the planet.
Right this moment, as we start the work of Construct Again Higher, we’re assured that you simply and Vice President Harris acknowledge and honor the basic function of Indigenous peoples in addressing the world’s most urgent challenges, together with local weather change. international, biodiversity loss, excessive poverty, and different social and environmental conflicts.
The Trump administration has accomplished monumental hurt over the previous 4 years to the connection between the USA authorities and Indigenous peoples, not solely in the USA but in addition around the globe. It’s of the utmost significance that your administration and the 117th Congress take pressing motion to restore this harm.
Domestically, this implies restoring government-to-government relations with the tribes; honor the federal government’s treaty and belief obligations; investing in tribal well being, training and financial growth packages; and the promotion of tribal sovereignty and self-determination.
Internationally, the USA should develop into an advocate for the rights of Indigenous peoples, and in our international coverage and international help, contain Indigenous peoples as companions – by way of their very own social, political and authorized establishments. – to satisfy the world’s most urgent challenges and advance safety, prosperity, sustainability and peace.
As we start the work of Constructing Again Higher, we humbly, hopefully and emphatically urge your administration to take the next actions within the first 100 days of your presidency:
- Draft a nationwide plan of motion for the implementation of the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
- Make sure the everlasting safety of the Arctic Nationwide Wildlife Space and halt building of the Dakota Entry and Enbridge Line 3 pipelines.
- Guarantee everlasting safety of the sacred websites of Mauna Kea, Bears Ears Nationwide Monument and Grand Staircase-Escalante Nationwide Monument.
- Take up the annual White Home Tribal Nations Conferences as held beneath the Obama / Biden administration
- Re-engage and revitalize the Trilateral Working Group on Violence Towards Indigenous Girls and Women (United States, Canada, Mexico).
- Commit to interact and help the work of United Nations our bodies coping with the rights of indigenous peoples, together with the United Nations Everlasting Discussion board on Indigenous Points, the United Nations Skilled Mechanism on Rights Indigenous Peoples and the United Nations Particular Rapporteur on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, and to fund the United Nations Voluntary Fund for Indigenous Peoples.
- Make indigenous peoples’ points a everlasting merchandise on the agenda of the United Nations Safety Council.
- Commit to reworking USAID’s growth mannequin right into a human rights-based mannequin, one which – with respect to indigenous peoples – invests in strengthening their collective rights to land, territories and sources; acknowledges and respects their proper to self-determination; and embraces an ordinary of free, prior and knowledgeable consent.
- Decide to selling and implementing efficient actions for the safety and respect of the human rights of indigenous defenders around the globe.
- Affirm that indigenous peoples can have an vital and significant area within the 2021 World Summit for Democracy.
- Sorry and free Leonard Peltier.
The appointment of a Laguna Pueblo lady, Consultant Deb Haaland, as the following secretary of the Dwelling Workplace is a vital and impressed selection. We consider she is uniquely certified for this place, and we’re assured that she has the imaginative and prescient and knowledge to usher in a brand new period of true government-to-government relations between the USA and Native American nations; an period that not solely acknowledges however celebrates the function of Native People in making a stronger, extra enduring and extra resilient United States.
We’re additionally hopeful that the Keystone XL pipeline license is revoked on the primary day you’re taking workplace, however as you recognize there may be a lot work to be accomplished.
As you stated in your inaugural deal with to the nation, “there may be a lot to restore, a lot to revive, a lot to heal, a lot to construct and far to achieve.” For indigenous peoples, these phrases have monumental that means. Solely a powerful decision, coupled with daring and visionary actions, will result in systemic change and cease the lengthy historic technique of dispossession of indigenous lands and violations of their rights.
Amanda Gorman, the youngest inaugural poet in US historical past, stated at your dedication ceremony: “Whereas our eyes are on the longer term, historical past is watching us.” President Biden, you’ve the distinctive alternative and energy to alter historical past and lay a strong basis to start transferring ahead in direction of a future the place Indigenous peoples are empowered to imagine their rightful roles as companions in creating ‘a extra simply and sustainable world; the place they’re self-determined and the place their collective rights to land, sources and information are acknowledged and revered.
We’re prepared and motivated to work along with your administration to maneuver ahead in direction of this brighter future.
Brian Keane, Former member of the United Nations Everlasting Discussion board on Indigenous Points (UNPFII), Former Advisor – Indigenous Peoples Points – Chairman and Founding father of the USAID Board of Trustees and Land is Life
Mariam Aboubakrine pockets, Affiliation Tin Hinane – Mali, former president of UNPFII, member of the board of administrators of Land is Life
Marcos Terena, Inter Tribal Committee (ITC) – Member of the Board of Administrators of Brazil and Land is Life
Cecilia Baltazar Yucailla, Kichwa indigenous chief from Ecuador and member of the board of administrators of Land is Life
Gleb Raygorodetsky, Member of the board of administrators of Land is Life
Bernadette Demientieff, Govt Director of the Gwich’in Steering Committee
Gregorio Mirabal, Coordinator of Indigenous Organizations within the Amazon Basin (COICA)
Jiten Yumnan, Analysis and Advocacy Middle, Manipur – India
Jackson Shaa, Narasha Group Growth Group, Kenya
Daniel Kobei, Ogiek Peoples Growth Program (OPDP), Kenya
Gloria Ushigua, Indigenous Sapara activist from Ecuador
Alicia Weya Cahuiya, Indigenous activist Waorani from Ecuador
Killa Becerra, Indigenous activist Inga from Colombia
Ole Kaunga, IMPACT Kenya and PARAN Alliance
Basiru Isa, The Community of Indigenous Peoples and Native Inhabitants for the Sustainable Administration of the Forest Ecosystem in Central Africa (REPALEAC)
Nicolas Salazar Sutil, Guardians of the forest
Elias Kimaiyo, Sengwer Indigenous Group, Kenya
Tezera Getahun, Ethiopia Pastoralists’ Discussion board (PFE)
On behalf of Land is Life, a world coalition of indigenous peoples.